size 2 MB / 2 MB / 4 MB / 8 MB
Stochas is a probabilistic polyrhythmic step sequencer / chord generator.
Stochas is at it’s core a step sequencer, which means it generates MIDI notes. As such it does not generate any sound of it’s own but can be used to sequence other plugins and/or hardware synthesizers. Although it can be used for basic step sequencing, it’s main function is to provide randomness to the step sequencing process. It does this in a few ways:
- Randomly determine whether a note should be played or not (create more dynamic and varied drum patterns).
- Randomly choose between two or more notes to play at a specific time (create random or semi-random melodic or drum lines).
- Add slight timing randomness to notes so that they play slightly before or after their position.
- Add randomness to velocity and length of notes.
In addition to the randomness features, it offers a wealth of features:
- Suitable for both drum and melodic programming.
- Live performance features – Most features can be controlled by MIDI so that you can mute/unmute layers, switch patterns, change timing, transpose notes, etc.
- Polyrhythms – Create up to 4 simultaneous layers with different time signature, playback speed and/or number of steps per layer.
- Patterns – switch between patterns during playback for more variety.
- Timing – Parts can be played at eg half-time or double-time, etc
- Groove and humanization – Steps can be individually shifted off the grid. Basic swing can be applied, as well as grooves. Grooves can be imported from MIDI files.
- Chords – quickly select and add chords to your sequence.
- Note customization – Select which MIDI notes are visible in your grid, and even customize the names (useful for drumkits). These customizations can be imported/exported. In addition you can select from standard scales to make it easy to program in melodies.
- Chain mode allows procedural programming (e.g. “if this note plays/doesn’t play then always/never play this other note”).
- Record incoming MIDI to the grid.
- Themable interface.
Stochas_Win32 ( 2 MB )
Stochas_Win64 ( 2 MB )
stochas-mac ( 4 MB )
stochas-linux-x86_64 ( 8 MB )